Monday, January 16, 2012

Progress

Swoon Block #5

My motivation from the other day only lasted through one Swoon block before my head cold got the best of me.  Since then I have managed to get all of the HST and flying geese marked and pinned for two more blocks.  Once I get them sewn and trimmed up I should fly through the piecing of two more blocks.

Ever since I stared this quilt and knew I would be making it king sized I have been considering my quilting options.  I would love to have it custom quilted, but I have a couple reservations: 1) Cost, it really isn't an affordable option for me and 2) I could no longer call it 100% my work.  Some day I would love to send a quilt to a long arm quilter just to have a beautifully quilted quilt, but that's probably years down the road.

Since I really don't want to try to wrestle a king size quilt through my machine I have been considering the quilt as you go method.  There are quite a few out there and a lot of them involve hand sewing which I really don't want to do.  Then a disscusion was started in the Swoon-Along Fickr group and this great tutorial was posted.  Yay, a QAYG method that doesn't involve hand sewing!

Problem solved.  Now I just need to finish all the blocks...

 
Just Wing It Baby Quilt

On another note, my mother-in-law asked me to make a quilt for her newest great niece, I've just been waiting for the fabric to arrive.  I'm using the pink, purple and green colorways from MoMo's Just Wing It.  I have all of the blocks done and sashed (not pictured) and the binding all ready to go.  I just need to piece the boarder and attach it and I will be ready to quilt it...once I find/pick a backing fabric.

Well, I'm off to do some sewing...

Christine

1 comment:

Cheerful Homemaker said...

Your block looks great!

I've heard that there are some quilt shops that will let you rent time on a long-arm quilter so that you can do your own quilting.