Monday, August 15, 2011

Martha's Quilt and a Birthday!

Martha's Quilt

Martha's Quilt
32" x 38"

Martha's Quilt

It's finished, my 3rd quilt finished in a month!  I went from none to three in no time.

Martha's Quilt

Martha's Quilt


The label turned out great thanks to Cindy and Ruth!  I embroidered the lettering on, then took the finished piece and sewed it right sides together with another piece of fabric and sewed around the edges.  I turned and pressed it and then ladder stitched it on the back through the batting.  Then went back and embroidered a line of chain stitches a quarter of an inch from the edge also down through the batting.

Martha's Quilt

I did straight line quilting just off to one side of the seams.  I love how it mimics the diamond pattern. 

To be honest, I wanted to make an argyle quilt.  After seeing this pillow and then this quilt I have been in love with the idea, but when I got to the point of stitching the lines through the diamonds I chickened out.  I was worried my lines wouldn't be straight and it would look like crap.  So I just skipped it.  I am still very happy with the results!

Martha's Quilt


Martha's Quilt

It's all rolled up and tied with a bow just waiting to be delivered.  I can't wait!  I think the label makes it so much more special...is that just me?

Alex...

The cat thinks that it is his new pillow.  He had his head on it until I walked over to take this picture...

On another note, today is my baby's birthday!  No, not my son.  My first baby, my boxer, Oliver.

Happy Birthday Oliver

I made this collage this morning with photos I already had on my laptop.  He was only 2 and 3 in these photos.  So I set out to take a current one of him.

Oliver

I have to admit I teared up a bit when I uploaded this photo.  When I look at him I still see my 2yr old baby with out a single grey hair!  But anyway he's 8 today!  So I will be baking up a special birthday batch of dog treats today.  He will love them!

Happy Birthday Oliver!!

7 comments:

Maria said...

That was quick! It's lovely and the brown finishes it off nicely. Lucky Martha.

Cindy Sharp said...

It is a beautiful quilt. Your lable is fantastic, and yes, labels make everything more special.

Happy birthday to Oliver. He is one handsome boy.

Lynne said...

I love the way the quilt looks rolled up like that with that gorgeous label on the outside.

Cats! They think everything is theirs, don't they?

Princess T said...

Your quilt doesn't disappoint! I too love argyle quilts.... maybe one day... and your label turned out lovely! Martha is very lucky!

Shanea said...

Wow...looks fantastic! I came over after you were featured and I am so happy I did!
Love the label!

Patches said...

This quilt is absolutely amazing. Everything about it is perfect. Lucky little Martha.

What battng did you use? What is the size?

I'm going to become a follower.

Lindsey said...

This quilt is awesome! And I LOVE the label! Did you just write it on there and then embroider it? You might have said, I need to go back and read. I'm way too intimidated to try this, maybe some day!